Oral health is just as important as any other part of a person’s body. Diseases, infections, and medical conditions can arise when a person does not care for their dental health. Dentists recommend for people to have an annual check-up to make sure that everything is healthy and functioning properly. Once a person visits a dentist, the dentist has a responsibility to provide a standard of care to all of their patients.
Many people fear to go to the dentist for a number of reasons, but it is always better to be safe than sorry. When a dentist does not provide the duty of care that is required of them, errors can be committed that can lead to a patient’s injuries. These injuries can often time be the cause for a medical malpractice claim. The Orlando dental malpractice lawyers have seen many different results and causes of a mistake during a procedure or treatment in a dental facility.
Mistakes and Results of Dental Care
Below will be described different scenarios and what injuries can come from the mistake.
- Root Canals: During a root canal, an instrument known as an endodontic file can break as the dental surgeon is attempting to perform the root canal. This instrument can lodge in the root or the tooth itself causing it to become stuck. Along with this, permanent nerve damage can be the resulting injury during a root canal mistake. These mistakes can cause the patient further harm and create additional medical bills.
- Wisdom Teeth Extraction: Wisdom teeth sometimes have to be taken out because a person might not have enough space in their mouth. Regardless of the small nature, it is a surgery. With every surgery, there are risks. A broken jaw can arise from this procedure, which is something that the dentist must explain to the patient. He or she needs to obtain informed consent. If they fail to do this and the patient does suffer a jaw fracture, the dentist can be held responsible. Along with a broken jaw, a person can suffer the loss of taste, uncontrolled bleeding, and nerve damage.
- Extractions or Repairs: Sometimes, a dentist may be repairing or extracting a person’s tooth when they accidently slip and break or chip another tooth surrounding it. Along with these injuries, a person can also experience infections, sinus perforation, and bleeding with extractions.
- Lack of Sterilization: Exposure to HIV and hepatitis can come from instruments that are not properly sanitized.
- Cavity Filling: This is probably the most common procedure that is done. Typically, a dentist will drill in the person’s tooth to fix the cavity and apply a filling. When a dentist drills in too deep, they can permanently damage the nerves.
Dental Malpractice Lawyers in Orlando Assisting All Victims
The same level of quality is expected by a dentist than any other medical professional. When negligence is involved during a dental procedure that leads to an injury, the victims should seek help from a legal practitioner at Percy Martinez Law Firm that specializes with dental malpractice.