Despite the positive aspects of a nursing home, the downfall of nursing homes has begun to spiral. Abuse and neglect are starting to surface on a greater scale within Old Folks’ homes. With the increase of elderly population, families are unable to care for their loved ones with all of the daily activities that must be fulfilled. The elderly are vulnerable because of their fragile state and are sent to these facilities to be taken care of.
It becomes a serious matter when an elder person is neglected, abused, or injured. When an elder person experiences these types of harms, worry should begin to settle. Investigations need to take place, and complaints need to be filed against the correct authority. If an elder person becomes injured because of the nursing home or staff members, then yes, obtaining an Orlando abuse and neglect lawyer will be required to file a personal injury claim.
Here are some questions that can be asked to determine whether a lawyer will be needed. If the answer is yes can be given to any of the following, then it is essential that an nursing home abuse lawyer in Orlando be contacted right-a-0wayto make a difference in the claim.
Questions to Ask
- Has there been any bedsores or bruise that cannot be explained?
- Did the resident fall and suffer injuries?
- Are there signs of dehydration or sudden loss of weight?
- Has there been a mistake with their medication more than once?
- Has there been a sudden decrease in their health while at the facility?
- Did the resident get hit, slapped, shaken, or restrained?
- Was there sexual contact between the resident and another person that was done against their will?
- Were any meals withheld or fed forcefully?
- Was the elderly person assaulted?
- Was the elderly person threatened?
- Was the elderly person degraded or shamed by a nursing home employee?
- Was there an isolation done to the resident?
- Did the resident suddenly pass away without any reason?
If yes can be answered to any of these questions, certain steps need to be immediately taken. Some of those include:
- Speaking to the nursing home’s administration
- Contacting 911 if the danger is immediate
- Getting in touch with an Orlando abuse and neglect attorney
- Gathering all necessary documentation
Removing the resident from that situation as soon as possible is the most important thing that needs to happen. By reacting fast, this will prevent further injuries and even death.
Neglect and Abuse Lawyers in Orlando
If the resident has suffered any of harm through any of the questions mentioned above, then without a doubt, an Orlando personal injury lawyer who will be required to assess the neglect and abuse case of the elderly person during their time at the Old Folks’ Home.